Friday, July 26, 2013

A little more about BGCs - Part III

Ok, it may have taken me in to the 3rd page but I am indeed finally ready to talk about sports!!

But let's understand something. We're not talking about sports as a time killer. We're talking about sports as a means to continue many of the other wonderful teaching elements found in all BGC programs.

The full title here would be Sports, Fitness and Recreation. Sports, of course, offer one way of dealing with health issues such as obesity. They also offer a way of getting kids to put down the electronic stuff and actually talk to each other. But, they also offer the opportunity for children to learn math (using statistics), to develop character and leadership skills, to develop social skills (teamwork and cooperation), to develop verbal communication and much, much more.

Yes, sports are fun. I've played and enjoyed sports of all types for as long as I can remember. But I'm convinced that, after my parents, my sports coaches and instructors have taught me as much as all of the traditional scholastic teachers in my life. The BGC of Buffalo believes strongly in this education opportunity and works hard to take advantage of this time with its members.

In addition to the expected sports such as basketball (there, we FINALLY talked about hoops!), dodgeball, floor hockey, and others, the club also has activities with pro and college teams in WNY to give the members opportunities to take field trips. They also participate in picnics, summits, attend various amusement parks, Griffis Sculpture Park, Museums, Boys & Girls Clubs of America conferences, and the theatre.

~~~~~~~~
So, believe it or not, while I've been writing for 3 pages, I've barely scratched the surface of what the BGCs of Buffalo offer their members. If you have any questions about anything in this blog or anything about BGCs in general  (maybe even a question about one in your area), please let me know. I am lucky to still have LOTS of friends in local clubs as well as in the national organization, the Boys and Girls Clubs of America. I'll gladly tell you what I know or find a better person to address your questions when I don't know the answers. You can reach me through my website by Clicking Here.

Thanks VERY much for reading about Boys and Girls Clubs.
I hope I've made my case that these clubs are indeed WAY more than just a basketball game (though we do really like basketball games!!).


If you would like to Support the BGC of Buffalo, please Click Here.




.

No comments:

Post a Comment